Saturday 5 December 2015

The Lord delivered us

From Aroer, which is by the brink of the river of Arnon, and from the city that is by the river, even unto Gilead, there was not one city too strong for us: the LORD our God delivered all unto us: - Deuteronomy 2.36

Israel’s testimony to God’s grace and provision continues. In those 40 years they never lacked for anything.

But that’s not all. In those 40 years no enemy had been too strong. They had faced many enemies along the way. Many of those enemies were much stronger than they were and should have been able to defeat them.

But no matter who the enemy was or how strong the enemy was, with God on their side they could not be defeated.

We face all kinds of opposition today. Some of us face emotional battles, some physical, some financial, some health, some emotional, and some I am sure I can’t even think of. All of our battles seem like the worst battles. We have been sharing the gospel with a friend and it seems like she is facing every kind of battle she can face over the last few weeks. Satan in strong. The world is strong. Our flesh is strong. Maybe our enemies are just a little too strong.

But the word of God tells us otherwise.

Greater is He that is in us than He that is in the world
The Lord is my helper I will not fear what man can do to me
In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
Be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go
Nothing is impossible with God

There is still no enemy too strong for God. The eventual victory is already ours. We are going to have setbacks and discouragements, but eventually all our enemies will be beaten.

God is with us. He is stronger than anything we are going to face. As Ron Hamilton, also know as Patch the Pirate, puts it – ‘How Can I Fear?’

How Can I Fear…with Jesus?

When shadows fall and the night covers all
There are things that my eyes cannot see.
I never fear, for the Saviour is near.
My LORD abides with me!

How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?

When I’m alone and I face the unknown
And I fear what the future may be,
I can depend on the strength of my Friend!
He walks along with me.

How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?

Jesus is King! He controls everything!
He is with me each night and each day.
I trust my soul to the Saviour’s control;
He drives all fear away!

How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?


(Lyrics:  Ron Hamilton, 1982)

No comments: