Monday 7 December 2015

Don't add or take away

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. – Deuteronomy 4.2

God had given His Law. It was complete. It was all they needed and they needed it all. So God said ‘don’t add to it and don’t take away from it.’ The Law was God’s law, it was not man’s to manipulate or subject to his own way.

God say something similar in the book of Revelation when He says ‘if you add to my word I will had all the curses and plagues to you, and if you take away from it I will take away all the blessings.’

Obviously the sanctity of God’s word is important. It is not to be toyed with. We can’t play games with it. It is not ours to handle or manipulate and make fit our way. I can’t cut away the parts I don’t like or add parts I would like to see added.

And I can’t make it say what I want it to see. I can’t lay out my agenda and then find scripture to support my views and ideas. I must exegete what it says and not eisegete what I wish it said. God’s word is pure. It is complete. That mean I must ‘preach the word’ and not what I wish it said.


No comments: