Friday 4 December 2015

You lacked nothing

For the Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hand. He knows your trudging through this great wilderness. These forty years the Lord your God has been with you; you have lacked nothing.” ’ – Deuteronomy 2.7

‘These forty years the Lord God has been with you; you have lacked nothing.’

I will never claim to fully understand the Providence of God and His timing and how he works to apply His word at just the right time but as I read this it is really truly like He wrote it just for me.

Of course God was telling Israel that as they headed into the Promised Land after forty years of trudging through the wilderness that they had never lacked. That was an encouragement to them as they prepared to move into Canaan and begin new lives there.

And God did take care of all their needs. They had lacked nothing. They had food and clothing and protection for all of those 40 years and the never did without.

And they still doubted and worried and fretted.

Mary and I are at that stage of life when the days we have left are far fewer than what we have had. The way things have worked out over the last twenty or so years we have not been able to prepare for the future the way I would have liked to.

That can cause me to fret because I can’t see the way through.

And here, right now, today, when I read this I see, ‘Roger, these forty years I have been with and you have lacked nothing.’ It’s funny how there are times when the Holy Spirit personalises scriptures for us at just the right time.

For the forty years since God saved me we have never lacked the necessities of life. I really need to sit down with Mary and write down all the times God met needs that we didn’t know how we were going to deal with. We’ve never lacked a meal. We’ve never been cold due to lack of clothes or heat. We’ve never had to skip a bill.

For forty years God was with Israel and they had had no lack. For forty years as God’s child He has been with me and I have had no lack.


It just makes sense that He is willing and able to provide for the future. 

No comments: