Wednesday 28 October 2015

Rest

Now therefore, I pray, if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in Your sight. And consider that this nation is Your people.”And He said, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest. Then he said to Him, "If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here” – Exodus 33.13-15

Rest is something everyone longs for. This is a tiresome old world and everyone gets tired of the struggles.

Anyone who struggles with insomnia understands how it is to try and function without rest. Nothing seems to go right when we are weary. I get fussy and irritable. I tend to see everything from a negative and pessimistic manner. Nothing seems ‘worth it.’ I couldn’t be bothered to do anything.

The same thing is true in following Christ. God told Moses that as He went with Moses God would give Him rest. The only true rest comes for us when we rely on the presence of God. We wear ourselves out when we try to do things in our own power. If we only depend on our own strength we are going to fail. 

Jesus made a great promise – ‘call unto me all who labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.’

Just like God told Moses there is rest in the presence of God. We don’t have to do it all alone. The psalmist knew that when he wrote ‘I laid down and slept, I arose, for the Lord sustained me.’

With Jesus’ promise ‘I will never leave you or forsake you’ we can rest in Him. Surely, we have to work and, but we need now grow weary in well doing because we have the confidence that we will reap in God’s time.


God is with us – may we rest in His presence.  

No comments: