Tuesday 20 October 2015

Aholiab and Bezaleel

See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah: And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, To devise cunning works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, And in cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of timber, to work in all manner of workmanship. And I, behold, I have given with him Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan: and in the hearts of all that are wise hearted I have put wisdom, that they may make all that I have commanded thee; - Exodus 31.2-6

Aholiab and Bezaleel are two of my favourite less known characters in the scriptures. These are ‘just’ working class craftsmen, but God uses them mightily.

We tend to think of the great leaders or preachers or preachers or prophets when we think of the spiritual giants of scripture. But we know that God does not only use them. God uses anyone. Here Aholiab and Bezaleel are craftsmen who we find out are filled with the spirit of God and with His wisdom and understanding and knowledge.

And to do all manner of workmanship.

God gave them the ability to do the physical labour that needed to be done. Many, many years ago a friend and I were workers, not in gold or silver or brass, but we sheet metal. He was a Christian as well and we jokingly called ourselves Aholiab and Bezaleel. But I am not too sure it was unreasonable joking. Whatever work we do I think we need to acknowledge that it is God who is behind our ability to do it right and well and for His glory. I have done a lot of what we call ‘menial jobs’ but any job we do for God’s glory we need to depend on Him every day for the do that in a way that reflects the truth that He gives us the power to do it.

We are all needed, no matter that man tends to glorify.


So praise God for the Abrahams and Josephs and Moseses and Davids and Pauls – and praise Him for the Aholiabs and Bezaleels! 

No comments: