Friday 9 October 2015

A peculiar treasure

Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: - Exodus 19.5

I like this old world ‘peculiar.’ I am sad that it has changed meaning, but I still like it. Peculiar today implies someone or something that is slightly strange or not normal or not just exactly right or questionable.

It’s old and archaic, but I still like the word and I think it is a better word somehow.

The Hebrew and Greek words translated ‘peculiar’ are similar. The English word ‘peculiar’ here has the idea of ‘belonging exclusively to one person.’ To the readers of the KJV it would have meant ‘distinguished or special.’ Most modern translation use ‘special’ but special doesn’t seem special enough to me. Peculiar seems capture to notion of notion of being unique and different and special in some kind of a special way.

The peculiarity of God’s people doesn’t stop here. The New Testament picks up on the same theme:

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. – Titus 2.14

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: - 1 Peter 2.9

God called Israel a treasure which is unique and special and belonging only to Him. God calls us His unique and special people who belong only to Him and calls us to be zealous of good works to show forth His praises.


So I am happy to be peculiar for Him. 

No comments: