Monday 5 October 2015

Gershom and Eliezer

And her two sons; of which the name of the one was Gershom; for he said, I have been an alien in a strange land: And the name of the other was Eliezer; for the God of my father, said he, was mine help, and delivered me from the sword of Pharaoh: - Exodus 18.4

Moses’ wife was named Zipporah. We find out here that she had two sons named Gershom and Eliezer. As usual names mean things and here is no different.

Gershom means ‘alien in a strange land’ and Eliezer means ‘God is my help.’

Moses was careful to give God the credit for what He had done. Even in the middle of living in a foreign land God took care of and delivered His own.

And you know what? He does the same today. Gershom and Eliezer ought to be precious names to us. We too are pilgrims and strangers in a world which is not our home.

But while we are indeed strangers in a foreign land (Gershom) but we also have the promise of God’s help in the land (Eliezer). Gershom and Eliezer are very real to us. None of us could face being strangers in the world without God as our help.


Praise God He is my help as I struggle in this very strange land. Praise God that as Gershom I have my Eliezer!

No comments: