Thursday 26 March 2015

When we are gone

For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you, knowing that shortly I must put off my tent, just as our Lord Jesus Christ showed me. Moreover I will be careful to ensure that you always have a reminder of these things after my decease. – 2 Peter 1.12-15

I like Peter’s determination. I like his dedication to the cause of Christ. He wanted to be sure that his work had an impact for Christ and he wanted it to go on even after he ‘put off his tent’ of flesh. 

When I think about this kind of dedication I remember back to the days surrounding and after the crucifixion and resurrection. I remember how three times he had denied Christ. I then remember Jesus’ words to Peter to ‘feed my sheep.’

Peter must have taken that charge seriously because here, toward the end of his life, he expresses his desire to keep on reminding and stirring up the hearts of other believers. 

Though were are not apostles who knew Jesus like Peter did, but we all are ‘apostles’ in the sense that we are ones who have been ‘sent out’ to do a work for Christ. And, like Peter, it a mission that should consume our lives. 

But Peter goes a step even further. He suggests that he desires that his testimony will endure after his life. He wants to leave a legacy for Christ. 

I think we should all have that same desire. Our work for Christ should not die with us. We should live our lives is such a way that our testimony impacts others after we are gone. We can only do that by leaving an example that others can learn from. We need to be faithful in sharing Christ with others. We need to be careful in encouraging and building up fellow believers. We need to love in such away that others learn to love from. 

I am at an age now where I can remember Christians who are now in heaven. They are a part of who I am today. 

What kind of impact are we leaving for those who will be here when we are gone?

No comments: