Sunday 8 March 2015

Serious about prayer

But the end of all things is at hand; therefore be serious and watchful in your prayers. – 1 Peter 4.7

Every time I come across a passage that talks about prayer I get smitten by the Holy Spirit. Don’t get me wrong, I do pray. I pray every day. I probably pray several times a day in all kinds of situations. 

But when I read a passage like this I realise how far short I fall of what I should be doing. Prayer is a serious business. It is not to be taken lightly. It is not really an option. It can’t be somewhere on my ‘if I get around to it’ list. 

The words Peter writes remind me of the words Jesus said to him and the other disciples in the garden. Jesus said ‘watch and pray so that you don’t enter temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.’ 

I wonder if Peter was thinking about that when he wrote the words ‘the end is coming, therefore be serious and be watchful in your prayers.’ He knew the danger of not being serious and not be watchful. He knew it was not going to be easy. 

So he tells us, and I have to say he tells me, to be serious about our prayer life. 

Why is a proper prayer life so important? I think the words Jesus said to Peter give us a hint. Our spirit wants to do it, but our flesh is weak. I get distracted. I get off track. Other things occupy my mind. Less spiritual things rush to the forefront  and my prayers get shoved to the back. And the next thing I know I am thinking about what we would do if an EMP bomb went off (I say that because I was praying yesterday morning while the power was out and that is where my mind ended up). 

So it is up to me to watch and pray with all seriousness. It is up to me to bring my thoughts into captivity to the thoughts of Christ. It is up to me to set my thoughts on things above. It is up to me to watch the invisible and not get distracted by the visible. 

I can’t do it alone. Of course I need God’s help. But I can be serious. I can be watchful. I can pray better than I am now.

No comments: