Tuesday 24 March 2015

Neither barren no unfruitful

For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. – 2 Peter 1.8

We just read about God’s great and precious promises and here is another one for us. Peter tells us that is we allow the divine power of God to work on our lives, if we are resting on God’s promises, and if we are doing the adding God wants us to do we can be assured that we are not going to be barren or unfruitful in knowing Christ. 

I don’t think there is much sadder than being an unfruitful Christian. I spent a good deal of my life thinking that the only fruit that mattered was the number of people won to Christ. I would never deny the importance of that fruit bearing – but that is not all there is to being fruitful. 

Being fruitful also showing the love of Christ Being fruitful is showing love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and self control. Being fruitful is, in short, being Christlike in my actions and words and attitudes and facing opposition and dealing with others and all I say and do. 

There is no need to be barren in these areas. And there is no excuse. We have all we need to be fruit-bearers. 

I need to trust in the diving power Christ provides. I need to rest in His promise. I need to do the adding. And then I need to stand on the promise and watch the Holy Spirit produce fruit in me.

No comments: