Sunday 22 March 2015

Standing on the promises

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. – 2 Peter 1.2-4

Promises are a funny thing. We humans make promises, but that can be a dangerous thing to do because we really can’t be sure that we are going to be able to do what we promise. I have tried with my children and grandchildren never to promise them things because I never know what is going to happen. 

Isn’t it great that we have a God who makes promises and who is God enough that He can’t break His promises? 

There are loads of promises in the Bible. Thousands and thousand of them spring from its page. They are great and precious and they will be fulfilled. I hate to even start because there are so many important ones that I will miss. 

Christ promises that He will never leave us or forsake us. 
Christ promises that He will supply all our needs
Christ promises that He will empower us 
Christ promises that He will go with us wherever we 
Christ promises His peace
Christ promises to carry our burdens
Christ promises that if we focus on righteousness He will take care of everything else

We have all of these promises and so many more. I can’t help but remember a great old gospel song. 

Standing on the promises of Christ my King, 
through eternal ages let his praises ring; 
glory in the highest, I will shout and sing, 
standing on the promises of God.  

Standing on the promises that cannot fail, 
when the howling storms of doubt and fear assail, 
by the living Word of God I shall prevail, 
standing on the promises of God. 

Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord, 
bound to him eternally by love's strong cord, 
overcoming daily with the Spirit's sword, 
standing on the promises of God. 

Standing on the promises I cannot fall, 
listening every moment to the Spirit's call, 
resting in my Savior as my all in all, 
standing on the promises of God. 

Standing, standing, 
standing on the promises of Christ my Savior; 
standing, standing, 
I'm standing on the promises of God. 

What makes me sad is that I can trust the promise of John 3.16 – but have a hard time standing on the promises of care and provision. 

Lord, help me to stand on all the promises. 

No comments: