Tuesday 21 May 2013

Who shall separate us?

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? …For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 8.35, 38-39

So just how strong is the love of God? How powerful is it? Is there anything, anything that can separate those of us who are His live from His love?

Paul wants to make sure that we get it. He wants us to that there is no way no how that anything can separate us. He gives us quite a list. Neither tribulation nor  distress nor persecution nor famine nor nakedness nor peril nor death nor life nor angels nor principalities nor powers nor things present nor things to come nor height nor depth can separate us from the love of God which is manifested in Christ.

In case that's not clear enough Paul adds 'nor any other created thing' can separate us.

Praise God for His great love that overcomes any and every thing. I know that if it were up to me and my faithfulness and my dedication and my loyalty to knee myself in the love of God I would fail, but it is His great love that secures it.

Oh, love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure—
The saints’ and angels’ song.

I am so grateful that my relationship to the love of God is based on His great love in Christ and not my weak insipid copy. 

No comments: