Friday 10 May 2013

An heir of God


The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. - Romans 8:16-17

A few years ago I had a distant relative die. I think he was my mother’s second cousin. He had no family, so his, seemingly large estate, was divided amongst his living relatives. Since Mom has been dead her share of about $60,000 was divided among her children. Our share was about $10,000. Not loads of money by any means, but a nice little amount which is still in the bank, reserved for when I need it.

Being an heir has its benefits, even in a case like that where it is a distant relative.

One of the amazing aspects of being adopted as a child of God and, as a child, I am His heir. If that weren't clear enough I am not only an heir, but a joint heir with Christ.

This idea of being a joint heir with Christ is astounding and almost beyond our ken. We Christ we shall in His fill inheritance! God’s estate is not divided. Instead of being divided up 104 ways, like my little inheritance was, we have the full measure of God’s inheritance in Christ! And all because we are adopted as His children.

This inheritance is a special one. It is incorruptible. It is undefiled. It does not fade away. It is reserved in heaven for me. As His heir I am kept by the power of God. Nobody is going to take away my inheritance.

I am glad I have that $10,000 put away in the bank. But it really is not all what secure. Anything could happen to it. And, when you think about it, it is really not all that much. It’s just a nice little reserve.

But nothing is going to happen by my inheritance with Christ. It is there for me, as God’s adopted child. Pardon the old southernism for a minute, but ‘ain’t that something?!’

Praise God for adopting me and making me His heir!! 

No comments: