Saturday 18 May 2013

Who can be against us?


What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? – Romans 8.31

Sometimes it seems like we have really run up against a wall. We battle the world, the flesh, and the devil. We battle a wicked world system and a lot of folks who oppose God’s work. We face a collapse of righteousness and a rise of wickedness. It seems like there is no hope.

I have been preaching through the ‘minor’ prophets on Sunday mornings. Most of these guys felt exactly what we feel. They saw nations in despair. They saw destruction and sin and wickedness and violence and corruption and evil and bribery and murder and deceit and I could go on and on and on.

I am preaching on Habakkuk tomorrow Lord willing. Habakkuk lived in a time like that, and his solution was simple. God is too pure to even look at evil, the Lord is in His holy temple, so Habakkuk was going to sit down on the watchtower and wait for God to work.

He knew the reality of Romans 8.31. He knew that if God is our side the enemy cannot win. If God is for us who indeed can stand against us? Great indeed is He who is in us that He who is in the world.

Habakkuk’s faith was strong enough that he was going to trust God no matter what the result. He trusted God even if he could not see the results with his own eyes.

Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, And the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, And there be no herd in the stalls—Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer's feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills.

 Thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. If God before us who can stand against us?

No comments: