Tuesday 7 May 2013

If you don’t have the Spirit…




But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. – Romans 8.9

There is a lot of talk about the Holy Spirit, and there should be. It is impossible to talk about the Holy Spirit too much. In some sectors He is not talked about nearly enough.

But sometimes I think there can be a little confusion about the Holy Spirit, at least from my perspective.

There is a lot of talk about 'getting the Holy Spirit' or getting 'more of the Holy Spirit' or having a extra portion of the Holy Spirit.

Now I will quickly admit that I am not the sharpest crayon in the box, but it seems to me that this verse simply says that anyone who does not have the Holy Spirit is not one of Christ's own.

Now that gives me comfort, but it also gives me a challenge. If indeed I have all of the Spirit how then do I live a spirit filled life?

Since I already have Him I the thing that I need to do is give Him more of me. I need to simply read His word, pray, and yield to his control and power in my life. When I yield to Him He will produce fruit in my life.

Instead of praying for more of the Holy Spirit perhaps we should just get out of the way and yield to Him.

No comments: