Wednesday 31 October 2012

What in the world?


While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light." These things Jesus spoke, and departed, and was hidden from them. But although He had done so many signs before them, they did not believe in Him, - John 12.36-37
  
An awful lot was going on here and it was happening far too fast for everyone to keep up with. These were the last days and Jesus was doing all He could to get the message out before He was gone. He told the people once again that He was light, the only light to eternal life.

But then He departed. There was more to do before the crucifixion.

Those who were left behind had seen His miracles. They knew He had raised the dead. They had heard Him speak personally. They had seen signs and wonders.

‘But although He had done many signs before them, they did not believe Him.’

We might look back at this with incredulity. ‘How could these idiots have not believed? Were they blind? How stupid could they be? They saw and heard Jesus do all kinds of wonders and miracles and still the could not believe? Huh? What in the world?’

But then I have to stop and quit trying to dig out specks and deal with the beam. I miss the obvious.

For nearly four decades now I have watched God work in my life. I have seen Him save me. I have seen Him provide and sustain and meet needs and heal and bless and take care and give peace and do miracles and, well, you get the idea.

And still, after all this time, when a new challenge or issue arises I can be gripped by fear or anxiety and wonder if this one is going to be too tough for God. After all that I have seen Him do, I still do not believe Him to do the next thing.

What in the world?

Lord, I really do believe. Please help my unbelief. 

P.S. I have to explain my title. We have a German friend going to school here and staying with us for a few months. He has apparently picked up the phrase 'what in the world' from us and we are constantly joking they way he says it with his German accent. So this title is dedicated to Alex :-) 


No comments: