Wednesday 17 October 2012

One thing I know



So they again called the man who was blind, and said to him, "Give God the glory! We know that this Man is a sinner." He answered and said, "Whether He is a sinner or not I do not know. One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see." – John 9.24-25

I guess the best known and most popular hymn ever written is John Newton’s ‘Amazing Grace.’ Most people in the English speaking west are at least familiar with those words ‘Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see.’

Sometimes theologians and even every day Christians can get caught up in all kinds of religious and theological debates. In some ways that is good. We are challenged to know our Bibles and be able to defend our faith when people questions. But sometimes that can get in the way of some very simple truths.

This healed blind man was in a situation like that. The Jews were looking for a chance to get Jesus (again). They could not argue that this man could now see so they a different tack. ‘You really ought to give God the glory here. We know that this man is a sinner. He doesn’t deserve the credit.’

His reply was perfect – ‘I don’t know if this man is a sinner or not. I do know one thing, I was blind, but now I see.’

Sometimes that might just be the best answer we can come up with. There are times when we are not going to know all the answers. Sometimes we just haven’t learned them yet. Sometimes there are difficult things that we may never understand completely.

There are times we do just as well take the words of this man to heart. ‘You know what? I can’t figure all of this out. But I do know one thing, ‘Once I was blind, but now I see.’

I am not going to win every debate. I am not nearly smart enough. I am not going to ever figure it all out. People are going to outsmart and out think me.

When I was in Bible college and seminary I thought I knew a lot, but the older I get the more I realise what I don’t know. Still, I do know this for certain – ‘Once I was lost, but now I am found. Once I was blind, but now I can see,’ and that might just be enough at the end of the day.

No comments: