Thursday 18 October 2012

The stranger


"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers." – John 10.1-5

I have may have told this story here before, in fact I am pretty sure I have. But I still have to use it because it is my one experience at shepherding and the sheep/shepherd image is used a few times in Scripture to talk about God and His people.

Several years ago we had a shepherd family in our church. I think it was about this time of year, the weather was turning, and the sheep needed to be moved out of the fields into the farmyard and wintering sheds. They asked me if I could give them a hand. Sure! What a great opportunity for a preacher.

So I kitted out and went out to the farm. I was all ready to help move the sheep and have great stories. Mum, Dad, and kids were all in their wellies and we headed out. I was excited!

But Dad said ‘Roger, we need you to stand here in front of the food bin and make noise whenever they get close. They won’t follow you anyway.’

So I did.  But, having the sceptical nature I do, I tried a few times to call the sheep as they passed by. When I did they ran as quickly as they could to get away. I scared them to death!

That is the picture here. Jesus is the true Shepherd. His true followers follow Him. They are not drawn away by a stranger. They will ‘by no means follow a stranger, because they don’t know him.

So what happens when the strangers come along in our lives? Are we enticed by them? Are we tempted to turn aside from the One who cares for us? God give us the strength and the wisdom to turn aside from the stranger and follow our Shepherd to the place of peace and protection. 

No comments: