Sunday 14 October 2012

I AM




Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."  - John 8.58

The Jewish leaders were already fed up with Jesus. All it was going to take was one more push to turn them totally against Him.

The Jewish leaders were trying to figure Him out. No one could deny His teaching and influence so they needed a plan of action. As they talked to Him Jesus talked about His relationship with the Father. He talked about how He brought truth. He even called them children of the devil.

They claimed they were not the children of the devil but instead were children of Abraham.

Then Jesus made a strange claim that He had seen Abraham’s time. ‘You are not even 50 years old! How could you have seen Abraham’s day?’ It was intriguing. How could Jesus claim to have seen Abraham who had lived several hundred years earlier?

Jesus’ reply was more than profound – ‘I tell you the truth, before Abraham was I am.’ Read that again. He didn't say 'before Abraham was I was.’ He said ‘Before Abraham was I am.’

The Jews response is telling. They took up stones to kill Him.

Why?

Jesus had just spoken words so holy that many Jews would not even write them down. He had claimed the name I AM which was the same name God used when He met Moses at the burning bush. I AM was the holiest of God’s names and Jesus had just taken it for Himself.

The line in the sand is even clearer now. Jesus can no longer be a ‘good man’ or a ‘great teacher.’ Either He is God or liar. Either He is God or blasphemer.

That is the choice people need to make. Is He God or is He the ultimate blasphemer? There is no middle ground here.

I am grateful that I know that the One who died for me is the great I AM. He is the always eternal and self-sufficient one. Because He is all that and more I can trust His wisdom to guide me through any situation. 

No comments: