Tuesday 17 January 2012

My wife died




So I spoke to the people in the morning, andat evening my wife died; and the next morning I did as I was commanded.– Ezekiel 24v18

I had not noticed this little aspect of Ezekiel’s life. I am not surewhat to think about it. Ezekiel spoke to the people in the morning. Okay, that’snormal enough. But then we read ‘and at evening my wife died…’

God had told him in advance that ‘the desire of his eyes’ was going todie quickly, but he was not to mourn or weep, but to carry on.

And he did – ‘and the next morning I did as I was commanded.’

I know things were different in the days of the prophets and that Godcalled them to do some things that are very unusual in our minds. We also knowthat God does not oppose normal mourning and weeping.

However when I read this I was reminded of how Daniel, when he was toldit was illegal to pray and that he could be killed for doing so simply did whathe always did, he prayed.

I am challenged by this ability to carry on our work for God no matterwhat comes our way.  I am especially challengedwhen I think about how easily I can be distracted from doing what I am supposedto do.

I don’t expect that if I were to suffer this kind of loss that Godwould expect to ignore it and just go on, but I do know that it takes far lessthan this to get me off track. May I see the seriousness of God’s work today.


No comments: