Saturday 7 January 2012

Good waiting




The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. It is good for a man to bear the yoke in his youth. - Lamentations 3v25-27

I have said it here before and I wish I could say that I have overcome it, but I haven’t. I hate to wait. Waiting is one of my least favourite things to do. I don’t even like to wait when I have nothing else pressing to do.

But God has a different view of waiting. God says that waiting is good. He says that He is good to those who quietly wait on Him for deliverance. It is good to wear the yoke of affliction, especially in youth.

When we consider the rest of scripture that truth should not come as a surprise. Remember what James tells us? ‘Count it all joy when you face various trials. The trying of your faith develops patience and if you let patience work it will bring about spiritual maturity and completeness’ (parrowphrase of James 1v2-4).

Waiting is not easy, but it is good. Trials are not fun, but they are good. And God is good to us when we go through them.

‘They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength. They will mount up with wings like eagles. They will run and not be weary. They will walk and not faint.’

Teach me Lord, to wait. 

No comments: