Sunday 22 January 2012

God is in control




Daniel answered and said: “Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, For wisdom and might are His. And He changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and raises up kings; He gives wisdom to the wise And knowledge to those who have understanding.  - Daniel 2v20-21

When Daniel was called before the king to interpret his mysterious dream he had the marvellous opportunity to show how his God was different from all the other gods. The king had a dream and could not get anyone to interpret it. They finally thought of Daniel who had come through the test so well. He was among the wisest and best advisors so he was called on to answer the king.

I wonder what went through his mind. I know that I would have been scared to death to go into a pagan land with a plethora of gods and try to tell them that my God was the one in control. How would the king respond? Would he keep his office? Would he be thrown into prison? Would he be killed?

None of that mattered. He just told it like it was. ‘Blessed be the name of God forever and ever. Wisdom and might are His. He is in control of times and seasons. He sets up kings and takes them down. He gives wisdom and knowledge.’

Daniel did a couple of things here. He let them know that the wisdom he had was not His. He told them that God was the source of all he was going to say.

He also let the king know that his kingdom was from God and that God could change it anytime He wanted.

I like that kind of courage. I hope that when I am in any kind of similar situation I can speak out for my Lord no matter what the possible consequences.

If God is really in control can’t He handle the results of my boldness to declare His name? 

No comments: