Friday 6 January 2012

My piece of lasagne




They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him!” – Lamentations 3v23-24

I make the world’s nest lasagne. It is that simple. I call it ‘Roger’s World Renown Five Cheese Lasagne.’ It is simply fantastic.

When I make it I mark out my portion of the lasagne. I know which part of the lasagne has the best combination of ingredients and flavours and I want that portion for me. That is ‘Grampy’s piece.’

So what does my piece of the world’s best lasagne have to do with Jeremiah’s lament?

We have been the same passage for a couple of days now, but I did not want to go on without mentioning the little phrase ‘the Lord is my portion.’

Jeremiah knew something that we need to know. He came to the realisation that his portion in life was not with all the wicked that was going on. His portion was the Lord and in the Lord He could find comfort and strength.

It is like that piece of lasagne. I know that my piece is the very best of the very best.

In life we need not settle for less than the best. The Lord is already our portion. Let’s stop grabbing for all the other portions and be content with the best! 

No comments: