Friday 22 April 2011

Therefore I will remember

Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance. O my God, my soul is cast down within me; Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan, And from the heights of Hermon, From the Hill Mizar. - Psalm 42v5-6

This verse, or a version of it, pops up a few times in Psalm 42-43. I think it is repeated several times because it was so real to the psalmist. He had to keep reminding himself of this vital truth.

At times we all find ourselves cast down and disquieted. By the way, I like that word 'disquieted.' I wish I could use it more often. It just sounds like what it means. It means 'in a state of tumult and loud noise; a commotion.'

I can certainly understand that feeling. This is the alarm clock that wakes me up at night. It is the clamour that rings in my head and blocks everything else out. Sometimes it can drown out everything else. The disquiet comes from placing my hope for current trials and difficulties and hardships in my own resources and my own ability to solve them.

So what was the psalmist's solution to despair and disquiet?

Remember God, hope in Him, and praise Him.

This is appropriate on this Good Friday. We can only imagine the disquiet that fell upon the followers of Christ on this, the darkest day. We can only imagine how cast down they felt. We know in retrospect that they need not have done so. He had told them all about it, that He would be crucified and that He would rise again. Apparently they did not really believe either one.

We can do the same thing. In the dark days we too can forget the promises. We can fall into that horrible state of disquiet.

Our solution is simple enough if we would juts apply it. Hope in Him, not us. Praise Him even before the answers come. And keep remembering Him.

Don't be disquieted with the Good Friday story. Sunday is coming! 

No comments: