Tuesday 26 April 2011

The power of the grave vs the power of the cross

But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah. - Psalm 49v15

We have just come through Easter weekend where we are reminded once again of the greatest event of all time, the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

For most people there is no greater fear than death. The power of the grave seems to be a power that no one has any control over. After all, we all die. No one, no matter how powerful or rich or famous or popular or great is going to have power over the grave.

And yet there is a power that is greater than death. There is a power that Job knew of when he said 'Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.' It is the power that allowed this psalmist to write 'God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave, He will receive me.' It is the power that allowed Paul to write 'O grave, where is your victory, O death, where is your sting?'

What power conquers death and the grave? I think Keith Getty words it perfectly words the answer perfectly'

Oh, to see my name
Written in the wounds,
For through Your suffering I am free.
Death is crushed to death;
Life is mine to live,
Won through Your selfless love.

This, the pow'r of the cross:
Son of God—slain for us.
What a love! What a cost!
We stand forgiven at the cross.

I am moved every time I hear or sing those words 'death is crushed to death. The power of the grave was 'crushed to death' once for all by the power of the cross! Death is swallowed up in victory through Jesus Christ. Death is already beaten.

So how do we respond to death's defeat? Paul continues from above in 1 Corinthians 15.

'Be ye steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord.' The power of the cross, the power that have crushed death to death is the power that keeps us going!

How can we quit? 

No comments: