Tuesday 12 April 2011

Rest and wait

Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. - Psalm 37v7

This is like part two from yesterday's post. Remember the question – 'What do we do now?' The answer is extended.

Commit your way to the Lord.
Trust Him.
He will bring it to pass.
Rest in the Lord.
Wait patiently for Him.
Don't fret at what you see.

Resting and waiting do not come easily for me. 'Not fretting' does not come easy for me. I want to do something, anything, when things are not going the way I like. Surely there has to be something I can do to 'fix it.' If I can't fix it, surely my fretting will help.

More on fretting tomorrow.

These are some great passages on our emotions and how to deal with them. Emotions can be a great blessing, but they can also be terribly destructive if we let them get out of hand. When I have problems with my emotions it is usually because I am seeking a human solution to my problems. I am still holding situations and problems in my hands. I want things to go my way. I want it to work out now. I want my answers as quickly as I want my pizza to arrive at the door.

God does work that way. I see life in terms of a 70-80 year time segment. Even worse than that I see time in terms of right here and right now. God sees situations in the light of eternity.

Commit. Trust. Rest. Wait.

If only I would really practice those habits.  

1 comment:

Diva of Death said...

I'm a fretter too!

Even though He has proven His faithfulness to His promises I still fret!

I often pray to have my "human-ness" removed from me. I get frustrated in my journey to be as close like Jesus as can be because, as Paul said in Romans, "For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out."

Is it wrong that I take comfort in Paul's weak human nature, or is it a restful place for me to stop and realize that my efforts do count with God? He understands, and can accept my shortcomings. So, I think that as long as I am continuing to grow and giving it my best effort, & realize it cannot be done without Him, I'll make it!

Thanks again for another thought provoking post.