Sunday 3 April 2011

Dumb Mule

Do not be like the horse or like the mule, Which have no understanding, Which must be harnessed with bit and bridle, Else they will not come near you. - Psalm 32v9

They say that sheep are dumb animals, but this verse mentions a couple of animals that might be even dumber and warns against following their example.

'Don't be like a horse or a mule. They have no understanding and must constantly be led about with a bit and a bridle. They won't follow you unless you drag them to you.'

Sheep are different. At least they have the sense to know that their shepherd loves them and cares for them so they know enough to follow the shepherd.

How often we can be like that dumb mule talked about in the verse. We get set in our own way. We are kind of like a mule that is sitting on a railroad track with a train approaching and its owner trying to pull him out of danger. The mule is too dumb to know that his owner knows best.

How dumb I can be. I can be so set in my ways that I hunker down and insist that my way and my solutions must be the best way.

So, how about it. How often are we even dumber than dumb sheep?

No comments: