Tuesday 19 April 2011

Muzzled lips

I said, "I will guard my ways, Lest I sin with my tongue; I will restrain my mouth with a muzzle, While the wicked are before me." - Psalm 39v1

As I read this passage I sit here and think back and recollect some of the times that I have well and truly blown it with my words. I think about words hastily spoken in anger or frustration or just without thought. I admire men who know how to keep their mouths shut. I have a couple of guys in mind who rarely speak out in conversations. Because of that, when they speak, they are listened to. Sadly, I am not one of those guys.

Another advantage these guys create for themselves is that they avoid all kinds of problems that I get myself into. The proverb tells us 'Even a fool is counted when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.' Not that these guys are fools of course, but maybe their example could help guys like me to be considered as perceptive as them.

Silence has a lot of advantages. The psalmist knew that. 'I will guard my way,' he said, 'so that I don't sin with my tongue.' Then he gives great illustration - 'I will restrain my mouth with a muzzle, while the wicked are before me.'

I often see dogs muzzled while I am out for a walk. The owners muzzle their dogs because they know that their mouths are dangerous. They know the damage that can be done. The muzzle is a prevention device – it keeps the dogs from doing what they naturally do.

I think the picture is, as we say, bang on. I know the damage that my mouth can do. I mentioned above that I have plenty of experience. I have said things that I regretted as soon as they were out. But, they were out and they can never be recalled. Words always have an impact. Relationships can be destroyed with one simple statement. Testimonies can be destroyed with one little outbursts.

There are times that I wish I had been wearing a mouth muzzle. That's not practical though. Since I can't wear one on the outside I need to apply one on the inside. The truth is that we speak what is in our hearts, so we muzzle our mouths by fixing our hearts.

May God give me the grace to muzzle my lips by guarding my heart. 

No comments: