Sunday 30 May 2010

Who does he think he is?

And all the men of Israel, when they saw the man, fled from him and were dreadfully afraid. So the men of Israel said,"Have you seen this man who has come up? Surely he has come up to defy Israel; and it shall be that the man who kills him the king will enrich with great riches, will give him his daughter, and give his father's house exemption from taxes in Israel." Then David spoke to the men who stood by him, saying,"What shall be done for the man who kills this Philistine and takes away the reproach from Israel? For who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?" – 1 Samuel 17v24-26

The army was in a panic. Battle customs said that the champions of two armies could fight to determine the outcome of the battle. The Philistines had a qualified veteran of many years as their champion. Not only was he experienced, he was also more than four metres tall. Day after day his challenge to Israel went unanswered. No one was willing to step up and meet Goliath in the field of battle.

While David was visiting the troops he heard this challenge and he saw the troops cowering in fear. In his youth he could not believe that the nation was afraid. Perhaps it was as simple as the fact that he was not experienced enough to be afraid. ‘Who is this guy that he will defy the armies of the living God.’

Naivety, impetuosity, inexperience, or whatever else David knew that something was wrong. Israel were God’s people. He fought on their side. Who was this clown to defy God and His people?

As I look at my own life I realise that there are many times when I am so intimidated by my own enemies that I can forget that the same God that David trusted is on my side today. When my own giants rear their ugly heads and challenge me I too often am cowed by them and shrink away in fear. Yes, they are indeed giants, but God has promised me over and over again that He is with me. Would that I would have the courage to facer my giants, not in fear and trepidation, but with the knowledge that I am a child of God and that He fights with me!

No comments: