Wednesday 19 May 2010

I will teach you

Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you the good and the right way. – 1 Samuel 12v23

I was going to jump over this, but thought there is something more worth sharing.

Samuel made it clear that it would be sin to stop praying for the people. He saw that there was also another responsibility as well. ‘I will teach you the good and right way.’

Samuel was the spiritual leader of the land. He was handing over his political leadership to Saul. He would pray for them, but he said that he would also teach them. How could anyone know what to do unless they have a teacher?

‘Teacher’ has always been a special word to me and teaching a special blessing. Those of us who have been saved a long time have a special responsibility to teach others. It is easy to sit back and criticise young believers for their actions or attitudes, but there is something we can do about it.

Older men are told to teach the younger. Older women are told to teach the younger women. Teaching is just part of what Christians are supposed to do. It is part of the sharing and communication that the New Testament talks about. The responsibility to teach is not just for those who have been saved a long time. As we grow and develop and learn God’s word we all must use our knowledge and skills and our talents to teach others as God gives us opportunity.

No comments: