Thursday 20 May 2010

I made myself do it

then I said, The Philistines will now come down on me at Gilgal, and I have not made supplication to the LORD. Therefore I felt compelled, and offered a burnt offering." – 1 Samuel 13v12

Saul knew what he should have done. He knew that he was to wait for Samuel to come and offer the sacrifice. All he had to do was to sit back and wait on the Lord and for Samuel to get there.

But he just could not do it. He waited the allotted seven days, but Samuel was not yet there. He felt compelled to act. The King James translators used ‘I forced myself therefore.’ I like that. I know it captures how I feel when I get impatient. I know I need to be patient, I know I need to wait, but I feel so compelled to act that it is like I make me do it. My wife often has to step in and stop me before I do what I am compelled to do. It drives me nuts when something needs to be done that I am pretty sure I can do and I have to rely on someone else to do it.

This is what can happen when we take things in our hands. Moses did it and suffered the consequences. Here Saul just can’t wait for Samuel to get there. Seven days had passed, Samuel was not there. Saul just could not wait another minute. He didn’t even pray about. He just offered the sacrifice. And, like happens so often, as soon as he was done Samuel arrived.

As a result of Saul’s feelings he lost the kingdom. There is often a big difference between our feelings and God’s plans. We always err when we allow our feelings to rule. Saul faced the age old battle of flesh versus spirit and he let the flesh win out, even though it was well intentioned.

Walk after the spirit and not after our feelings, otherwise we are doomed to failure.

No comments: