Saturday 22 May 2010

JAB – a forgotten hero

So his armorbearer said to him, "Do all that is in your heart. Go then; here I am with you, according to your heart." - 1 Samuel 14v7

I don’t think I had noticed this before, but am greatly blessed by Jonathan’s armour bearer. When we look at Jonathan’s faith and courage it is easy to forget that somebody else was there as well.

JAB (Jonathan’s armour bearer, thanks Caleb for the nickname) is one of those many nearly forgotten and unnamed heroes of the Bible. This is all we know about him. While the whole army of Israel was camped in safety Jonathan and JAB went off the fight the Philistines. Jonathan had what must have seemed like a crazy notion – ‘They have us outnumbered 300 to one, we have them right where we want them!’

So how did JAB respond? ‘Okay, let’s do it. I’m with you.’

I am touched by those three little words, ‘I’m with you.’ I think how comforting those words are. When I think about times when it has been tough and lonely I have had friends say something similar – ‘Stay at it brother, I’m with you.’ It is of course a special blessing when someone is physically there to be with us, but there is a special comfort when someone is with us in prayer.

Just a thought for this beautiful Saturday morning in Naas – look for someone who is struggling, having a hard time, lonely, discouraged, or defeated. Let them know that you are with them, then prove it in a tangible manner.

No comments: