Wednesday 26 May 2010

That I may worship

Then he said, "I have sinned; yet honor me now, please, before the elders of my people and before Israel, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD your God." So Samuel turned back after Saul, and Saul worshiped the LORD. – 1 Samuel 15v30-31

Saul knew that his reign as king was over. He admitted his sin. He knew that it has its consequences. To be honest I am not sure what happened here. Saul’s walk with God is an enigma, but I think we can glean something from this. If I am wrong, well, there’s always a first time.

Perhaps Saul’s move was only political. Perhaps he was only thinking of the good of the nation. Perhaps he was a hypocrite, but I suspect other wise because of Samuel’s response to Saul’s request to go and worship the Lord.

In spite of all that happened Saul seems to have a desire to return and worship the Lord. He has confessed his sin to Samuel’s satisfaction so Samuel allows him to do so. It appears that Saul struggled with his spiritual life. He seems to have a desire to do right, but too often allowed his flesh to control his decisions. Sadly, he never seems to really get it sorted.

There is something in Saul that I think we can all identify with. It is something that Paul acknowledged in Romans 7. Our walk with the Lord is a struggle. The great thing is that with the indwelling Christ we have the victory. All we have to do is to walk in that victory.

No comments: