Monday 5 October 2009

Laughing at God

And I will bless her and also give you a son by her; then I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples shall be from her." Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, "Shall a child be born to a man who is one hundred years old? And shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?" – Genesis 17v16-17

Thirteen more long years had passed. Abram was now 99 years old. Sarai was now 90. There was still no son on the scene. God just was not coming through on His promise.

Have you even been in a situation where you wondered if God was ever going to come through? Have you ever waited and waited and waited and prayed and prayed and prayed and still not seen any indication that God was going to answer?

Most of us have. If so, we can somewhat indentify with Abram.

Suddenly God appeared. He changed Abram and Sarai’s names to Abraham and Sarah. He reaffirmed His covenant and instituted circumcision as a sign of the covenant with Abraham.

Then He told Abraham that he and Sarah were going to have a son. How did Abraham respond? Did he praise the Lord? Did he get excited at the prospect? Nope – he fell on his face and laughed. “I am 99 years old. My wife is 90. Just let Ishmael carry out the promise.’

Laughing at God seems pretty shocking at first. How could anyone laugh at God?

When I start to think about it though I wonder if it is any more scandalous than how I have reacted to God’s promises at times. There have been times when I have been tired of waiting on God to come through on His promises. I have wondered if He was ever going to come through. Is my doubt any better than Abraham’s laughter? Just because I don’t fall on my face laughing at God am I any better than Abraham?

Stay tuned for God’s response to Abraham and Sarah’s laughter and our doubt?

No comments: