Saturday 31 October 2009

Esau ran to meet him

But Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck and kissed him, and they wept. – Genesis 33v4

Okay, I am going to admit it. I have a shameful secret. I do something that I have a hard time admitting publicly. But I try to be honest here, so here it is. I watch Judge Judy. I can almost see a picture of myself walking into a room and saying, ‘Hi, my name is Roger and I watch Judge Judy.’ Of course, the people in the room reply in unison, ‘Hi Roger.’

Quite often there are cases where one family member is suing another. It is always very sad and ugly. Judge Judy always comments about how important family is. Of course, I agree with her. Family is very important us. I can’t imagine much worse than having family conflict. It would break my heart to see a serious conflict develop in our family.

Jacob and Esau would have been perfect candidates for Judge Judy. The older brother had been tricked out of his birthright. He could have been suing Jacob for a share of it back. Legally he would have not had a leg to stand on. Judge Judy would have given a great speech about how family was more important than birthrights or blessings or possession, but would have denied Esau’s complaint with a comment like, ‘I don’t understand you people. I can’t do anything about the law. If I could Jacob I would lock you up and throw away the keys. But I can’t. Esau is your brother – do the right thing and sort this out.

Fortunately there was no need for Judge Judy. Jacob was petrified at the thought of meeting Esau. He knew he had been wrong. He gathered up a bunch of livestock and possessions to offer as gift. I can’t imagine Jacob’s anxiety as Esau approached. He set things in order, moved to front, and starting bowing down to Esau. But, lo and behold, Esau came running to meet him. He gave Jacob a hug, and in the custom of his time kissed his long lost brother. They both broke into tears of joy.

All that had happened didn’t matter any more. They were brothers. That is all that counted. Few brothers had more to hold against their brother than Esau did. Jacob had robbed him blind, not once, but twice. Jacob would be the famous one. He had all of the family inheritance.

But, Esau ran to meet him.

What a beautiful example of the importance of family. We don’t need Judge Judy. All we need is a heart like Esau.

No comments: