Sunday 4 October 2009

The God Who Sees

Then she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, You-Are- the-God-Who-Sees; for she said, "Have I also here seen Him who sees me?" – Genesis 16v13

Poor Hagar. If anyone is innocent in this situation it is her. As an Egyptian servant and knowing the customs she knew that surrogating might very well be expected of her. When called on to accept this role she does, and as a result she gets pregnant.

We don’t know if she really mocked Sarai, or if it was just Sarai’s regret that she had suggested such a crazy idea. Either way Sarai treated Hagar cruelly so Hagar ran off and sat by a pool of water to lament her situation.

God saw her there so He sent an angel to console her. After the promise we saw yesterday Hagar responded by calling the place where she was ‘You are the God Who sees.’ God saw her in her affliction. As the innocent here God chose to console her. He told her to go back to Sarai and to trust Him with the results.

Her response is interesting, and I never noticed it until this morning – ‘Have I also here seen Him who sees me?’

I am not sure exactly how she meant that, but it started me thinking. Do I always see the God who sees me in my affliction? Do I see His hand when it works? Do I ever assume that things just worked out or that somehow I sorted things?

God sees me in all of my circumstances. Do I also see Him who sees me?

No comments: