Monday 22 September 2008

We live if you stand fast

therefore, brethren, in all our affliction and distress we were comforted concerning you by your faith. For now we live, if you stand fast in the Lord. - 1 Thessalonians 3v7-8

I continue to be amazed at Paul’s absolute dedication to others in his ministry. He was in the midst of severe trials and afflictions. He could have been in a great pity party, feeling sorry for himself, and looking for a way out.

And yet, his thoughts were on the believers in Thessalonica. In the midst of all his afflictions and distresses and troubles he found comfort in the fact that those in Thessalonica were remaining faithful. The next line phrase really nails it – ‘We live if you stand fast in the Lord.’

I really love that – Paul’s whole life was focused around the lives of those believers in Thessalonica. ‘If you stay faithful, I know that my whole life will have been worthwhile. All that I have been through will be worth it.’

This is one of those places where I need to pause and consider – what really gives me life? Is it my stuff and my conditions, or is it seeing people that God has allowed me to minister to growing and staying faithful?

No comments: