Saturday 13 September 2008

Take heed



And say to Archippus, "Take heed to the ministry which you have received in the Lord, that you may fulfill it." – Colossians 4v17



Back in the late eighties and early nineties Mary and I taught in a Christian school. It was a school that always faced serious economic troubles. There came a point when finances got so bad that they could not pay Mary and they cut my cheque. Things were pretty bad.

At the same time a large, financially well off church in the area offered me the position of Education Pastor, with a very good income. Oh the battles I fought. I loved the school, and I loved the students, but this seemed like the answer to all our woes.

One day in devotions I came across Colossians 4v17. I knew then what I had to do. God gave us that ministry and we had to fulfil what God gave us to do. A couple of years later the school had to close and sometimes I thought, ‘What if I had taken that position?’

Because I did not take it, God had me in the right place at the right time for Him to direct us to Ireland. There have been plenty of times in this ministry when I have wanted to pack it up and move on. One day, during an especially tough time we drove out of our estate and I had decided to just leave this town. Mary reminded me that day of the ministry we still had, despite all the problems. God brought this verse back to mind. ‘Take heed to the ministry you have received from the Lord, and fulfil it.’

There are certain verses that have an extra measure of preciousness to them because God has specifically used them in my life.

It doesn’t have to be the pastorate or other ‘occupational’ ministry. Whatever ministry God has given you, be it your church, your school, your workplace, your sports team, or whatever – take heed to it. Pay attention to it, and fulfil what God has called you to do.

No comments: