Tuesday 2 September 2008

Stop lying to each other

Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, - Colossians 3v9

 

I hate lying. I hate it other people lie to me and I ALWAYS and especially hate it when I tell a lie. I think God is helping me and I am growing in that area, and it makes me ill when I do tell a lie, but it still happens.

 

Why do we do that? And why does Paul include in this list of awful stuff? And why does he use lying specifically in relation to the old man being dead? And does this mean all lies, including little white lies? 

Well, I don’t think the Lord could make it a whole lot clearer – ‘Don’t lie to each other,’ is pretty blunt. Lies are the weapons of the old man, who is dead. That dead guy has no power over us, but we still love him so much at times. We really, really miss him and try to honour him by doing what he wants. 

So what do we do it make things easy for ourselves? We just lie. We lie to save face, we lie because we worry about how someone might respond, and we lie just because it is convenient. When faced with a difficulty we ignore God’s choice to ‘speak the truth in love’ and we just lie instead. 

I wish I could sell a book on how to stop it. I wish I could run a seminar series on ‘dealing with lying.’ I wish I could sell a few CDs or DVDs on the topic, but God just says ‘stop it.’ 

When we lie we are elevating the old man’s desires above God’s desires. Lying is not something to be taken lightly, whether it is a great big ugly black lie or a little tiny white lie. 

Its time we stop it. 

No comments: