Wednesday 17 September 2008

Gentle as a nursing mother

Nor did we seek glory from men, either from you or from others, when we might have made demands as apostles of Christ. But we were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children. - 1 Thessalonians 2v6-7

I doubt that there are many things as precious and gentle as a mother nursing her child. It is the epitome of love, nurturing, compassion, sweetness, kindles, love, and concern.

However, it is hardly a picture that most Christian men I know would like to take on themselves. We have the idea that a Christian man must be a real tough guy, a brute, a sort of Christian Rambo, a Hulk Hogan of the church. Too many men use their tough guy tactics to bully their point across and get things done the way they want them done.

If any one had the right to do that, it would have been Paul. He had apostolic authority that no man has today and he could have said, ‘Hey, I am Apostle Paul and you folks need to listen to me. I am God’s man and I want you to respect my office. I am in charge here and you all need to honour and obey me, and I would really like an Apostle Paul Appreciation Sunday to acknowledge just how important I am.’

But did Paul do that? No. He compared himself instead to a quiet, unassuming, loving, gentle, protecting, meek, sweet, humble, nourishing, nursing mother. ‘We were gentle, just like a mother nursing a baby.’

I have a pastor friend in a nearby town. He is one of the sweetest, gentlest Christian men I have ever met. Many men would say that he is soft and effeminate. Some would say much worse about him because he is so gentle and loving. But this man loves God. He left kith and kin to come to Ireland almost 15 years ago. He is in a struggling church. His family back in the States has faced illness and death, and yet he plugs away. I think this is the kind of image that Paul is portraying here.

The gentleness of a nursing mother. Maybe that is not such a bad description for the man of God after all.

No comments: