Thursday 17 January 2008

Righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit

“Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil; for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. For he who serves Christ in these things is acceptable to God and approved by men.” - Romans 14v16-18

As I read the rest of Romans 14 yesterday I realised that I was, albeit partly, off base with the comments I made about stumbling blocks. That verse appears to tie together two concepts. On the one hand, I should never cause a brother to stumble by taking a judgemental attitude in non-biblical areas. On the other hand I can’t afford to take an “in your face” attitude with my liberty in those areas. Galatians reminds us that we can’t use our liberty as an occasion to serve our flesh, but to choose to love each other.

At the end of the day, serving God in His kingdom is not about all this extra “stuff.” It is not about eating, drinking, observing certain days, dress standards, music styles, Bible version, education choices, etc, etc. It is all about righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.

How simple can it be, and yet how hard to put into practice at times. It looks like it comes down to heart issues. Am I walking in His righteousness? Am I striving for His peace? Am I seeking His joy? If I am doing all of these things than the “stuff” is going to fall by the wayside. There are people out there who are going to ignore the first half of this chapter and criticise everything we do. It is impossible to placate them in everything. On the other hand there are people who will develop an attitude which seeks confrontation in these things; an attitude which really serves the flesh. Sadly, I have to say that I have been guilty of both of these sins.

Oh for the day when I learn to walk in “righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,” for then my service to Christ will be acceptable to God. But lets not miss the last part of the verse, it will also be approved by men.

No comments: