Wednesday 9 January 2008

I am a rock?

“Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion. Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.” - Romans 12v15-18

I think we err when we as Christians ignore popular culture. I think we make a big mistake when we are so fearful of being contaminated by the world that we won’t even listen to what they have to say.

I was a teenager in the 60s and 70s. There are things that still stick in my mind from those days; there are tunes that still run through my head. As I read this passage this morning two conflicting world views came to mind. One is that of Paul Simon who penned these words, “I am a rock, I am an island. And a rock feels no pain. And an island never cries.” The other words, a totally contrasting point of view, were penned by Joan Baez, as inspired by philosopher John Donne. “No man is an island, No man stands alone, Each man's joy is joy to me, Each man's grief is my own.”

I am tempted to copy all the words for both songs, for they are powerful contrasting philosophies. Simon’s mindset is a tragic thought that “I don’t need anyone.” Baez expresses the opposite view; we really do need each other. “No man is an island.”

These few verses clearly expresse God’s point of view. While we may desire to be a rock, standing alone, God’s word tells us the only Jesus is the Rock and these verse tell us that we really do need to focus on each other instead of focusing on ourselves.

Rejoice and weep with others. Be of the same mind with each other. Associate with the humble. Don’t be so concerned with your own opinion. Don’t pay back evil with evil. Think about good things with all men in view. As much as possible live at peace with all men.

I would not recommend following the lifestyles and philosophies of either Paul Simon or Joan Baez. I don’t know about their eternal fate. I have never heard of either professing faith in Christ. But the first stanza of her song rings true for us:

No man is an island,
No man stands alone,
Each man's joy is joy to me,
Each man's grief is my own.

No comments: