Sunday 13 January 2008

No provision

“But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.” - Romans 13v14

Here we go again, that awful reality called sin. We already know that we are new creatures living in the old flesh. The power of sin is dead, but the flesh itself is not. It still cries out for attention and feeding.

There may be times, I can’t think of any at the moment, when a sin might just “jump up and bite us.” However, at least for me personally I know that when I sin, it is because I have made provision to do so. I have dwelt on certain thoughts and certain situations. I have exposed myself to, as Paul puts it, “revelry, drunkenness (not this one in quite a while, thankfully), lewdness, lust, strife, or envy.” How can I hope to walk in victory when I make provision for these things?

God has the alternative laid out for us; ‘Wake up, put off the works of darkness, put on the armour of light, put on Christ, make no provision for the flesh.”

I think we all know the power of the flesh in our lives. It would only make sense that we not aid and abet our enemy. Yet, day after day and time after time we make provision for it. We dwell on anger, bitterness, lusts, hurt feelings, perceived injustices, and such.

Isn’t it time that we stopped aiding and abetting the enemy?

No comments: