Tuesday 7 August 2007

One thing I do know

“He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.” - John 9v25

Very few events caused as much theological turmoil and debate as Jesus healing the blind man on the Sabbath. Nobody could really tell what to do. Who is this man? How could He heal on the Sabbath? Who sinned to cause the man’s blindness? What was He up to? Was it is trick? Was the man really blind? They talked it over, they talked to his parents who sent them back to the blind man.

When they went to him and questioned him his response was pretty simple. We might paraphrase it with something like, “I don’t know all about this theological debate. I don’t know if He is a sinner or not. I do know one thing – I was blind and now I can see.”

We may not have all the answers. We might not know all of the theological fine points, but there is one thing we can know for sure. Before we were saved we were spiritually blind. Now our spiritual eyes are opened. At the end of the day, with all the confusion and debate there is one thing that we can always rest on, “Whereas I was blind, now I see.”

No comments: