Thursday 23 August 2007

Full joy

“These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.” - John 15v11

What kind of joy did Jesus have? According to Hebrews 12v2 it is was vital part of His earthly ministry, “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

It was the joy that was set before Him that allowed Him to endure the cross, despise the shame, and finally be set down on God’s right hand. It is this same joy that Jesus wants us to have. He said all of this so that we would keep that joy before us. It is only this full joy that will permit us to endure all that we are going to face here. It is not an earthly based joy, dependent on circumstances or situations, but a joy that is based on our eternal hope.

I am saddened that far too often my joy has been based on how things are going for me at the moment. When things are going well I am full of joy, when they are not going well I struggle to be joyful. The problem is that I am looking the wrong place for joy. If I am loving, serving, and abiding in Christ His joy will reign, and that alone is the joy that will let me experience daily fullness of joy.

No comments: