Sunday 26 August 2007

I never promised you a rose garden

“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” - John 16v33

Back in the 70s a singer named Lynn Anderson recorded a song with this as part of the lyrics:

I beg your pardon,
I never promised you a rose garden.
Along with the sunshine,
There's gotta be a little rain sometimes
.

Now, you might ask, what does a pop country song from the 1970s (I just googled and discovered that Martina McBride has released it recently, so more may have heard of the song) have to do with a devotional thought?

At the very end of Jesus’ last lengthy discourse to the disciples He said this, “I tell you these this so that you can have peace. You are going to have struggles in this world, but I have overcome the world.”

The Christian life is not always going to be easy. In fact, all the world really has to offer us is trial and tribulation. Yet in the midst of that we are told to have peace. How is that possible? Jesus makes it clear, in the middle of the trial, tribulations, and difficulties we alone can cling to the One who has overcome the world already. Jesus never promised us an easy path, a rose garden if you may, but He did promise the guide us and be with us no matter what comes our way. Greatest of all, He has already overcome the world so we have nothing to fear!

No comments: