Thursday 1 February 2007

You are a gracious God

“But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was very angry. And he prayed unto the LORD, and said, I pray thee, O LORD, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.” - Jonah 4v1-2

Just when you think you can start to like an appreciate Jonah he goes and says something silly like this.

“I knew You were a gracious, merciful, patient, and kind God who would show mercy on these people – that’s why I ran away to Spain. I didn’t want you to save those people!”

Jonah was really mixed up in his thinking. He hated these people so much that he really did not want to see them saved! How short sighted and selfish Jonah was!

Let us make sure that we always see ALL people like God does, not like Jonah did. God is indeed gracious, merciful, patient, and kind. May we pray for His grace and mercy on all around us.

No comments: