Monday 31 July 2006

When sinners entice you

“My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.” - Proverbs 1v10

I love the “deep” things of the word of God. The study of theology is fascinating. I love coming across little nuggets that deal with the character of God similar topics. I love studying about all of the “-ologies” in the Bible.

However, I also love the simple things in scripture. Today’s verse is an example of such a great truth – “If sinners entice you, don’t give in.” We certainly live in a day of enticements. Every place we look there is something to tempt and entice us away from God. Television and the internet are only a couple of examples of how sinners may entice us today.

How do we handle enticements? I wish there was some seminar we could go to. I wish there was book to read or CD to listen to that could sort it all out. There are plenty of “helps” out there, but at the end of the day it is really up to us – “If sinners entice you, consent thou not.” If that is not simple enough there is even a children’s song – “If sinners entice you don’t give in, say ‘no’, say ‘no.”
It seems like we have almost forgotten how to say “no.” When enticements come there is a very simple answer, one that some anti-drug schemes have used. “JUST SAY NO!!”

No comments: