Wednesday 1 May 2019

The Holy Spirit teaches


Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 1 Corinthians 2:13

Not too long ago I had a serious case of preacher’s block while studying Acts 18. I thoroughly enjoyed studying and sharing about Aquila and Priscilla but I was stymied on how to proceed with the rest of the chapter. Everything I came up with sounded forced and trivial and like how a history teacher would teach about Paul’s time in Corinth. I’d been praying for days and still nothing came through.

Now, bear with me for a second. I walk for a little over an hour every morning. When I walk I listen to podcasts and nothing on my listen list appealed to me. I went to a podcast called ‘Pastors’ Talk.’ On the list of available episodes was one called ‘Overcoming Fear in Personal Evangelism.’ That was certainly a topic I needed so I downloaded it and headed out the door. It was excellent, but what really struck me was when on the speakers mentioned a phrase from Acts 18 where God tells Paul ‘I have many people here’ shortly after Paul faced some serious opposition. I made a note of it on my phone. When I got home the Holy Spirit began to teach and I just typed. I love that kind of thing and you preachers will know what I am talking about. I prepared the rest of the message with the knowledge that I was not studying or preaching in my own power or wisdom, but as the Holy Spirit taught me.

It is not always that dramatic, but that is an illustration of just how the Holy Spirit teaches us and teaches through us. Without His help we would be helpless. Sure, most of us could spin a decent lesson and even expound verse by verse, but where would the power be?

Thank God for the my Teacher!

No comments: