Friday 17 May 2019

Abide

Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called. Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather. For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant. Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men. Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God. – 1 Corinthians 7.20-24

We never know where life is going to lead us. As the Corinthians were being saved they faced all kinds of practical questions. What do we do now? Do we give up our lives? Do we withdraw out of the world?

Although not as dramatic as it was in Corinth people today face the same question when they get saved. What next? How do I really follow God? Do I just totally leave my old life and my job and my family and friends? If not, how do I follow Jesus and live like the new me while I stay in the world?

Paul makes it clear. Your salvation does not necessarily mean that you need to break all your ties and connection. He says we should stay where we are until God moves us. Obviously if our life involves sin we need to repent and move on, but genrally speaking stay where you are.

While you are there, Paul says, abide with God.

What if we did all withdraw when we got saved? Who would reach the world. When folks get saved they are in a prime position to reach the people around them. So genrally we carry on abiding with God and letting Him reach others through us.

No comments: